The first order of business was to remove the existing shrubs, a million and a half daylilies, about 975 square feet of grass, and an entire bluestone patio. Whew. I'm exhausted just thinking about those long hours of labor. Luckily, the hubby was able to use some vacation days to knock most of this out, along with a couple of lingering inside projects.
We considered renting a sod cutter for the grass removal, but found that it came up really easily with a square-edged shovel. Getting those daylilies out was much more difficult. Each job was made a little easier due to things still being a bit dormant.
Here's a pic of the patio-from-hell turned instant sandbox once we removed the bluestone pavers on top. The patio was such a mess, with pavers that had sunk, creating a very uneven and hazardous surface. Once we moved the (extremely heavy) pavers, we found out why. Whoever built the patio laid the pavers atop 8 inches of sand, not compacted gravel, which would have stabilized the pavers better. However, all of that sand worked to our advantage, because we spread it over the area where we had removed the grass for the garden. It will form a base for the decomposed granite we plan to use between the cedar raised beds. Disposing of all of that material would have been difficult and expensive, so we were happy to reuse it.
We were also pleased to find some treasure back in the corner of the lot.
We removed the sand from inside these beds to allow for the free movement of earthworms.
A white picket fence will surround the garden, with a gate at either end and an arbor at the gate that can be seen from the front of the house. We planned to build the fence ourselves, but we are running out of time before planting season, so we're leaving that to the professionals.
All that's left is to finish the decorative tops to all of the beds, spread the granite, fill the beds, and plant! If our sore muscles can handle it.