Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Geocaching Fail

Inspired by the latest issue of Leaf magazine, I decided to take the kids geocaching. It's like a treasure hunt using GPS. I downloaded the app, picked out some exchange treasures with the kids, bundled them up, and hit the road. Even though it was cold, cloudy, and windy, we were excited for what we might find on this new adventure!

Our exchange treasures - a shark's tooth, beads, a shell, and a toy car.
 
We didn't need to travel far, since we live close to the Great Western Trail, and according to my app, there were lots of caches hidden there.



We set off for the first, my GPS pinpointing our location and the location of the cache, which was allegedly only 250 feet away. We found the exact spot, but no cache. Admittedly, we didn't really know what we were looking for, but I assumed we'd find a box or plastic container where we could trade treasures. But nothing! Tried two more locations along the GWT with no luck. We did, however, find a bird nest...
 


Horseshoe tracks...


 
And sadly, lots of garbage.
 
 
So, what am I missing? Any experienced geocachers out there that can tell me what went wrong? From the information on my app about the caches, they were found last only about a month ago. Any tips?
 
I'm really excited to try again on a warmer day. I think it will be a great way to get outside for some fresh air and exercise doing an activity that we can all get into. 
 

 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment