Monday, March 11, 2013

A Case for Beets


I've never cared much for beets, unless they were served aside a fried chicken dinner at White Fence Farm. I've grown them in my garden every year because they are so easy to grow from seed, but usually ended up bringing them to the food pantry because I couldn't figure out just what to do with them.

Since I've started juicing, I'm buying lots of beets, and can't wait to direct-sow and grow them fresh. And growing them fresh, then juicing them, is a great idea because beet juice (especially organic beet juice) is not easy to locate in stores.

So, you don't like the taste of beets? I'm not a huge fan either, but when combined with other fruits and veggies in juice, to me, it tastes great. A combination I like is 1 beet, 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 carrot, a handful or two of spinach, half a cucumber, and a rib of rhubarb.

Even if you don't like it, it's one of those veggies that you should choke down anyway. It's high in folate, manganese, potssium, Vitamin C, iron, magnesium, copper, and phosphorus. A quick google search will find claims that beet juice cleans the blood, lowers blood pressure, dissolves tumors, increases the body's production of glutathione which helps eliminate environmental toxins, and lowers cholesterol.

So tell me, do you like beets? Do you grow them? Have a favorite recipe?

3 comments:

  1. I do like beets. My spouse makes an old fashioned beet soup (borscht) with cabbage, potatoes, onions, and carrots. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again - posting anonymous seems to work. I love beets! Roast them in tinfoil in the oven like a sweet potato and chop them into a salad with blue cheese. Super Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemarie-that sounds amazing! I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete