Monday, February 25, 2013

Juicing for Me, and for My Soil

My Mom surprised us a little over a month ago with a Breville juicer, and it's changed our mornings! I juice fresh fruits and veggies almost every morning, and it's such a treat. Our favorite recipe is 3-4 carrots, a cucumber, spinach, half a lemon, an orange and an apple. I usually also add ginger, unless I'm making some for the kids. We all love the stuff.

Now, some would say that juicing extracts lots of sugar and discards the fiber, thus negating the health benefits of eating fruits and veggies. I say, if you're juicing mostly vegetables, you don't have to worry about the sugar. And if you eat enough fiber throughout the rest of the day, the fiber issue is nil as well. The point of juicing is to get all of the vitamins. minerals, and enzymes of a load of veggies (that would normally take much longer to eat) in a way that is very quickly absorbed and gives the digestive system a chance to rest.

After making a batch of juice, a bunch of pulp is left over. And I look at that pulp kind of how I look at eggshells - like it's almost a crime to throw it away. If nothing else, it's fantastic material for the compost bin because the material (produce skins, seeds) is shredded and will be quickly broken down. But if you've got the time, juicing pulp can be used in cooking and baking. I usually try to juice the veggies first so I can separate it for use in soups, spaghetti sauce, macaroni and cheese, and other meals I can sneak it into. More ideas for pulp.

The fruit pulp can be used for some really great bakery products, like fruit breads. I haven't gotten that adventurous yet, and I'm a terrible baker. For now, I'm freezing the fruit pulp (and my egg shells) for use in the garden in a few weeks. I'll mix it with the ground egg shells, used coffee grinds that I pick up from Starbucks whenever I'm there, and leaves that we shredded in the fall. It should make for one amazing soil amendment.

At this point, I don't know what I'm more excited for - the juice or the compost! Either way, we are happy to have both, so I owe Momma a big, "Thank you!"



1 comment:

  1. Wow - I think I need to research juicers. I hadn't considered the pulp good for the garden, but of course it is.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete