Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year, New Plants

Happy 2013 to all of my gardening pals! I wish you all of the health, beauty and peace that gardening brings.

I'm sure you are just as anxious to get out into the dirt as I am. While I wait, I've been practically drooling over plant catalogs, and that's helped me get through these chilly days indoors.

I was so excited to read of new plant available through my plant supplier, Midwest Groundcovers in St. Charles, IL. They've really expanded their selection of native trees and shrubs, and since they are available in 5 gallon containers (read - they are smaller than what you'd find in a nursery), they are really economical and easy to transport and plant yourself. These plants are not only native to our local climate, but they also support our native birds, insects, and other wildlife.

Here are a few that I can't wait to incorporate into my designs this year:

image credit
Calycanthus floridus (Carolina Allspice) - sun or part shade, up to 6-10' tall and wide, amazing dark ruby red flowers.
image credit

Cornus alternifolia (Pagoda Dogwood) - part shade, 15-30' tall and wide, unique horizontal branching pattern.



Hamamelis virginiana (Witchhazel) - sun or part shade, 10-15' tall and wide, one of the last flowering shrubs in October. More



Quercus alba (White Oak) - sun, 65-85' tall, nice form, tree and it's acorns feed more than 180 insects, birds, and mammals. More


Liriodendron tulipifera (American Tulip Tree) - sun, up to 100' tall, 50' wide, pyramidal form, leaves shaped like tulip flowers.


Viburnum trilobum (American Cranberry Bush) - sun to part shade, 10-15' tall and wide, striking fall color and berries.

3 comments:

  1. I already have V. trilobum, but yearn to plant the a pagoda dogwood and witchhazel of my own. Does Midwest Groundcovers sell retail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason! They do sell retail, but the prices aren't good for retail customers. You'd be better off attending a native plant sale. I bought a pagoda and a witchhazel, each for $15 at the Wheaton Native Plant Sale, which is usually in April. It's a great sale if you can make it out. Possibility Place Nursery in Monee would also have them. How do you like your V. trilobum?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving my Pagoda Dogwood, waiting patiently for it to branch vertically as it gets more mature.

    ReplyDelete