Thursday, January 24, 2013

New to Me - Chayote

 
 
 
Never heard of chayote? Neither had I until I spotted it in the international market near my home. And since was feeling bored adventurous, I picked one up. I had no idea if it was a fruit, vegetable, or other at that point. By the sound of the name I thought it might be Mexican, and after a text to my BFF Lisa, who is Mexican, I found I was right.

Chicken Chayote Tacos before baking. Obviously, I'm no food photographer.

Lisa told me it is a type of squash, and is usually used in soups. I'd already had tacos on the menu for this week, so I peeled and diced the chayote, sauteed it in olive oil with some garlic and diced onions, and combined it with shredded chicken and a little cheddar cheese in tortillas. I rolled the tortillas in a 9x12" pan, and sprinkled more cheese on top. Baked for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees, and voila! Baked Chicken Chayote Tacos!

Chayote is usually cooked, but can be eaten raw. Either way, it's a great source of amino acids and Vitamin C.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, interesting. I thought, incorrectly it seems, that because it looked like an avocado, it might be related.

    I'll have to try some out next time I'm at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've had it in soups. Kind of reminded me of zuchini, not a lot of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post - yes I too was adventurous one day and picked up the Chayote. It's no stranger to my kitchen anymore. I enjoy going into corner stores that may carry a wider and more ethnic selection of produce.
    Happy Day
    Teresa Marie

    ReplyDelete