Monday, January 14, 2013

Butterflies in Winter

On a recent trip to the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, my kids were thrilled to be able to see the release of butterflies into the Judy Istock Butterfly Haven. And now you can see it too! Click the image below to play the video.



If you haven't been to this museum yet, you should go. It's really a gem, and a great place to visit in winter. The kids were able to pet and hold lizards, snakes, and turtles, walk among flying butterflies, and learn about nature through play. They had such a great time, we bought a family membership ($60) and will be able to enjoy the resulting reciprocal relationships the museum has with others.

Here are the highlights of our trip in pictures.




The museum has a huge collection of butterfly specimens from all over the world.






The butterflies liked me - this one landed on my arm.




Coccoons and crysalis in various stages of metamorphosis.



 


Hands-on with the reptiles.



 


Eeeek!




 


I told you they liked me!

1 comment:

  1. I love that place. Used to take my kids when they were small. After that Judy and I have gone a couple of times with just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete