Friday, October 12, 2012

A Fall Walk, and Photography With Kids


While her little brother is in preschool, and before she goes to kindergarten in the afternoon, my five-year-old and I have a few hours alone, and I like to spend it focusing on art. We often go to parks to draw, take photos, or collect pieces of nature for collages.

She has a flair for art, loves to draw, and can really see the beauty in the everyday. She really loves photography, and I like to let her use "the big camera" because it focuses easily for her. I was surprised to see the files from a recent walk around Lake Foxcroft in Glen Ellyn; it's fun to see the world through her eyes. She sees things that I don't, in ways that I don't.

When teaching her how to use the camera, we really only focus on one aspect, and today is was working with zoom. This park is filled with geese, so we took shots from far away, and zoomed in close. I struggled with being patient as she took about 500 pictures of said geese, but I think it's important to let her experiement with how the camera works. Afterward, we came home and looked at the files and picked our favorites to share.

 
 




 

 

More resources on photography with kids:
13 Lessons to Teach Your Child About Digital Photography
How to Teach Photography to Children
How to Teach Your Kids Photography (and Learn Something Too)


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to share time with your child, very enriching for both of you. I enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete