Monday, July 9, 2012

Birdscaping My Garden - Before and After

Back in March I told you about a new garden bed I was designing at my home. I had to tear out a bed that was located next to my deck to accomodate for some construction that we had done over the winter. I wanted to create a garden that would be friendly to birds, bees, and butterflies so that we could watch the activity from the house and deck. Here is the before shot:


And here is how it looks today:


The birds love this garden. They are constantly at the bird bath and hopping about through the plants. I've got tons of bumblebees and butterflies are just starting to show up more often. These are the plants I chose:
  • Cornus florida 'Cherokee Brave' (Flowering Dogwood) 
  • Aronia melanocarpa 'Morton' (Black Chokeberry)
  • Caryopteris incana 'Jason' (Sunshine Blue Mist Shrub)
  • Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea)
  • Hypericum kalmianum (Shrubby St. John's Wort)
  • Echinacea 'Alba' (White Coneflower)
  • Calamintha nepeta ssp. nepeta (Calamint)
  • Liatris spicata 'Kobold' (Blazingstar)
  • Sesleria autumnalis (Autumn Moor Grass)
  • Allium cernuum (Nodding Wild Onion)
As you can see, I did not go completely native, however, the plants that I chose that are not native (Calamintha nepeta, Caryopteris, and Sesleria) were selected because they still attract pollinators and/or provide a neat, clean look, and they are just some of my favorite plants!

This garden is adjacent to a shade garden with Amelanchier grandiflora (Serviceberry), which is a great plant for attracting birds, who love the berries in summer.
This picture doesn't do the plants justice, but I love
the combination of Echinacea 'Alba', Liatris spicata 'Kobold',
Calamintha nepeta ssp. nepeta, and Seslaria autumnalis.

Echinacea 'Alba'

Ceanothus americanus


Liatris spicata 'Kobold'. This took the place of Dalea purpurea,
which was quickly eaten by baby bunnies in the spring.
The bird bath has been a valuable water source for my wildlife visitors,
especially in the oppresive heat and dryness of this season.
How my Cornus florida 'Cherokee Brave' should look in the spring. I can't wait!
photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment