Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chalkboard Welcome Sign

One of the parts of my job as a garden designer that I love is designing front porch decor. Enhancing the entryway is one of those things that give instant gratification and takes a frequently used spot from boring to smile-enducing. You can create a welcoming spot for guests, or just a nice place to relax and read a book, and it does not have to be expensive.

Nothing says "Welcome" more than a sign that, well, says "Welcome!" I recently came across this post from one of my favorite blogs, Less Than Perfect Life of Bliss, and was inspired to create my own chalkboard welcome sign for my front porch. As she says, this is best for a covered porch. And it's super easy and inexpensive to do, costing me a grand total of $3.88!

I used a 1" x 6" x 8" piece of wood that my husband had as scrap wood in the garage. He sanded it a little, and drilled two holes in the upper corners. I gave it two coats of spray chalkboard paint, and strung a wire laced with beads that I had around the house, and voila! A welcoming hello to friends, special guest, or even the mailman! Maybe for the Bridge Communities Garden Walk (have your purchased your tickets yet?), I will change it to "Welcome Garden Walkers!" This is seriously an easy project that adds a lot of charm and personality to your front porch. Enjoy!


1 comment: