Friday, June 1, 2012

2nd Annual Serviceberry Smoothie

I knew the serviceberries were ripe when I saw my three little trees alive with birds this morning. I hurried the kids outside to pick them, which they were thrilled about. It's not often that we get to pick fruit from a tree and eat it right then and there! We managed to save some to bring in for a smoothie, and left the high ones for the birds.


I believe that everyone should have at least one serviceberry (Amelanchier) tree in their yard. Not only do you get these wonderfully berries that are delicious and nutritious for humans and birds, but you get amazing spring flowers, brilliant fall color, and smooth grey bark in winter. Truly, a four season plant.

As I mentioned in this post from last year, serviceberries taste like a mix between cherries and blueberries. We combined them with a banana, a bag of frozen strawberries, some vanilla yogurt, and because I like to throw at least one vegetable in every smoothie, an avocado. I used orange juice to thin it, and voila! A serviceberry smoothie to split with my two favorite little people.

For us, it's a sure sign that summer is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment