Saturday, May 5, 2012

Favorites on the 5th - Why Mow? The Case Against Lawns

I've been invited by Carol of the Oh What a Beautiful Garden - Chicagoland blog to share a recent post useful to zone 5 gardeners that I've enjoyed. I read a bunch of awesome blogs, so this was tough! But overall, my favorite, most informative post of late is:

Prettier than bluegrass.
Why Mow? The Case Against Lawns by food activist Michael Pollan.

It was published in the New York Times Magazine in 1989, which just shows how ahead of the game Pollan (always) is. He gives a good history of why Americans feel the need to have lawns, how maintaining a lawn is working against nature, and how the land could be better utilized. Makes me more determined than ever to further reduce my own front lawn.

Anyway, check out the post, then go visit Carol at her lovely blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment