Thursday, January 5, 2012

Garden Resolutions I Might Actually Keep

About five years ago, I learned about a new website called 43things.com, a site where you can list life goals, resolutions, those sorts of things. You can also connect with other people who like your goal, or have completed it and can give you tips. At that time, I had listed 24 things I wanted to work on, then promptly forgot about the website and list completely. Since then, I've had two kids, started a business, completed another academic degree, and had just a lot of life to enjoy. While moving files over to a new computer recently, I found the bookmark for 43things.com and took a look. Back then, I aspired to:
  • Learn guitar. I took lessons this fall and can play Tom Petty's Free Fallin' pretty well.
  • Write a book about my life. I actually did that!
  • Run a 5K without stopping. I ran the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago, an 8K!
  • Own a convertible. Nope, and frankly, not interested anymore.
  • Eat sushi in Japan. Not yet. But I WILL do this!
  • Meet Lance Armstrong. Would love to, but a long shot.
  • Hike the Appelachian Trail. Still a goal, but I don't see myself doing this while the kids are small.
  • Read Anna Karenina. I'll do this in 2012. Promise.
So, I won't bore you with life resolutions that I may or may not keep. But I can tell you my garden resolutions for 2012, which I fully intend to keep.

Eregrostis spectabilis and Calamintha nepeta, two
plants I'll include in my front yard "prairie."
1. Remove grass in front yard and plant a stylized prairie. This is a big one, involving lots of planning, labor, and money. I wrote about this goal already here and here. I still have to figure out the best method for removing the grass (I'll post about that soon) and calculate how many plants I will need and what that will cost.

2. Create a bird friendly garden off back deck. I'll include fruit-producing shrubs and native perennials in this garden that we will be able to enjoy while on the deck, and through the back windows of the house. So much habitat is taken away from birds, I'm happy to give some back.

3. Find the perfect native tree to plant next to back deck in the bird habitat. I'll need a small ornamental tree or intermediate but narrow tree for this spot. I am considering a Viburnum prunifolium (Blackhaw Viburnum), Chionanthus virginicus (Fringe Tree), or Cornus alternifolia (Pagoda Dogwood). I can plant something with no more than a 15' spread. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

4. Add asparagus and rhubarb to the potager garden. I'm eager to add more perennial vegetables to the garden this year.

So, while I might not meet Lance Armstrong this year, I will definitely be able to make you a rhubarb and strawberry pie if you come to visit.

2 comments:

  1. Happy 2012 and best of luck in your endeavors. Judging from what you already have accomplished -- you'll be successful. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your goals for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete