Monday, December 19, 2011

Vertical Garden Roundup

Have you heard that O'Hare Airport in Chicago is growing vegetables using vertical gardens?

Vertical gardens are hot! And why shouldn't they be? We can grow ornamental plants, vegetables and herbs in much less space than if they were planted horizontally (in the ground, that is). If you have little outdoor space - a small patio or a balcony, for example - vertical gardening may be for you. I plan on building a vertical garden to decorate an outside wall of our house that is next to our deck, both to provide some interest on the plain wall, and to grow herbs as close as possible to my kitchen. Here is a roundup of my favorite vertical gardens on the web.

photo credit
This garden uses the side of a fence to grow greens. Mounting the "beds" in an alternating unlevel pattern utilizes water more efficiently. These may be rain gutters, which is a great way to repurpose them when no longer in use.

photo credit
I like the idea behind this vertical garden made from none other than a shoe organizer! This won't work for me because it's a little too casual for my deck space, but I still think it's a great idea and would love to try it.

photo credit
This vertical garden from Urbio combines practical utility with modern style. I am definitely considering this one. The plates and pots can be installed in any arrangement.

photo credit
This Wooly Pocket is also a contender for my space. It comes in five different colors and is waterproof, so no drippy mess. You can also use these indoors! Cool.

Have you tried vertical gardening? Share your experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment