Monday, October 3, 2011

Roy Diblik's Northwind Perennial Farm


"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads"-painted on a building at Northwind


Garden enthusiasts will certainly think they've walked into a little piece of heaven when entering Roy Diblik's Northwind Perennial Farm (7047 Hospital Road, Burlington, WI). I've mentioned before that I'm a huge fan of Roy's since I'd taken my first perennials class with him last year, and after touring The Lurie Garden at Millennium Park with Roy earlier this summer, I knew I had to visit the farm where a majority of the plants were grown. A few college friends and I took a road trip to visit the farm late last month and were not disappointed. In fact, Roy himself drove over to the farm from home, where he was working on a design project for downtown Chicago, to hang out with us. 

Northwind is an amazing farm, complete with growing fields for over a half-million perennials, a retail nursery and gift shop, farm animals, quirky garden art, and the stylized prairie gardens. Northwind is also currently renovating an area of the property that will soon be available for weddings, dinners, and other events. Lucky is the couple who gets married at Northwind and gets to have their wedding photos taken among these amazing gardens, which were gorgeous even this late in the season.










Verbena bonariensis, a vigorous self-seeder at Northwind




Wouldn't you love to hang out in this little cottage?


Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' and
Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'



The prettiest outhouse I've ever seen


Roy and I discussing Calamagrostis 'Tillie', a new introduction that you will see soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment