Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Goodbye Lawn! Part 2

I mentioned in an earlier post that I plan to eliminate our front lawn to increase the beauty of the area, attract birds, bees, and butterflies, and reduce the labor and cost of maintaining a lawn. I've gone back and forth so many times about what to replace the grass with. Low-mow grasses? Groundcovers? Prairie? There are so many options when it comes to grass replacements.



A particulary bad spot in my front lawn. Yuck!

My goal is to plant a drought-tolerant perennial garden that attracts birds, butterflies, and beneficial insects, and provides a nice view from my porch.


My current view. Not bad, but could be better!

I've taken two courses in perennial plant communities with well-known nurseryman Roy Diblik, and am a huge fan of designer Piet Oudolf, so I have decided to go with a stylized prairie look in our front yard. I'll use plants under 24" tall, so that it does not look wild.

Tell me what you think of my plant palette.



Calamintha nepeta and Eregrostis spectabilis



Sesleria autumnalis



Allium angulosum 'Summer Beauty'


Stachys officinalis 'Hummelo'

Deschampsia cespitosa 'Goldtau'


Monarda bradburianavia

Salvia nemerosa 'May Night'


Echinacea purpurea 'Alba'

                                                      Euphorbia polychroma 'Bonfire'


The Monarda bradburiana, Echinacea purpurea, Deschampsia cespitosa and Eregrostis spectabilis are native or cultivars of natives, and I'd like to incorporate a couple more in the 18-24" range. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment