Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What's Blooming at Churchill Park?


Churchill Park (721 St. Charles Road, Glen Ellyn) is not a typical recreational area. No swingsets or sandboxes here. What you will find is Glen Ellyn's only natural growth property, with over 23 acres of forest, prairie, trails, and boardwalks.




Native plant enthusiasts will delight in the hundreds of species of native plants, and many of them are in bloom today. Take a look at what I saw, then plan your own visit to look for species that I missed!


Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed Susan)


Coreopsis (Tickseed)


Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower)


Native Aster


Eupatorium perfoliatum (Boneset)


Impatiens capensis (Spotted Touch-Me-Not, Jewel Weed)

Rudbeckia triloba (Brown-eyed Susan)


Andropogon gerardii (Big Bluestem)



Penstemon digitalis (Native Foxglove)


Silphium terebinthinaceum (Prairie Dock)

Not exactly sure, but I think this is a Lobelia siphilitica (Great Blue Lobelia). Please correct me if I'm wrong!


Cirsium vulgare (Bull Thistle)


Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly Weed)


1 comment:

  1. I think you're right about the lobelia.

    ReplyDelete