Friday, August 26, 2011

This Garden is Deep!

In an effort to squeeze in more summer fun before school starts for my older one, we visited Phillips Park (901 Ray Moses Drive, Aurora) with my sister-in-law and her little girl. The park is the perfect place to spend the day with kids, with it's (more than a petting) zoo, a huge playground under shady oaks, a mastadon museum, and my favorite feature - the sunken gardens.




The original gardens were designed by Ray Moses in the 1930s, but in 2002 were rebuilt on the east side of the zoo. I love the emphasis on "black" foliage plants; they are such a nice contrast to the more colorful annuals. The mass of Elephant Ears surrounding the fountain is breathtaking!




Speaking of dark foliage, does anyone know what this is? The berries were so shiny and eye-catching.


The kids enjoyed running on the curving paths through the gardens.


There is still more summer left! Pack up the kids, take along a picnic lunch, and head to Phillips Park. You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. I love this park! Thanks for reminding me to get there before it gets cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those elephant ears caught my eye! What a fabulous planting, and how interesting that it is sunken.

    ReplyDelete