Monday, August 22, 2011

Plant Seeds Now for Fall Harvest

Some greens, like kale and swiss chard,
actually taste better after the first frost!
So, you're probably growing tired of your abundance of zucchinis, tomatoes, and cucumbers, but don't overlook planting for your fall harvest. I'm a bit late on this - a wonderful two weeks of celebrating a bunch of family birthdays has me behind on my gardening (and house cleaning, business marketing, and back-to-school shopping, but we won't go into that).

Today I planted spinach, pak choi, kale, and more swiss chard into empty spots in the potager that once grew lettuce. I used my new CobraHead Weeder and Cultivator to push away the grass cuttings I used as mulch, turn the soil a bit and break up soil clumps. It was the perfect tool for such a small job, but since it is so comfortable to use I plan to use it to prepare all of the potager beds in spring too. I threw in the seeds, covered them with 1/4" of soil, and watered. Easy as that! I should have a good fall crop of super healthy greens.

Here is some good information from the U of I Extension about planting the fall garden.





Disclaimer: I was given the CobraHead Weeder and Cultivator for free from CobraHead LLC, but that did not influence my comments.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, got me thinking of what seeds to put in.

    ReplyDelete