Friday, June 17, 2011

Vegetarian for a week. Can I do it?

I've wanted to be a vegetarian for years. Ever since I watched a film years ago about the gruesome way animals become food, I've wanted to convert to a plant-based diet. Thing is, I like meat! I cook nearly every meal my family eats from scratch, and include meat, usually chicken, in every dinner. And most lunches.

Kris Carr - my girl crush
via
The more I read about health and nutrition, the more convinced I am that I need to make a change in my diet. A couple of years ago I read Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber, a brain cancer survivor and professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. This book really opened my eyes to how modern food processes are creating conditions perfect for disease in our bodies, and how we can increase our immunity with food. I'm currently reading Kris Carr's new book, Crazy Sexy Diet. Kris is living with cancer, although it is not progressing she believes, because of her diet and lifestyle changes since her diagnosis. I'm only about a third into this book and I'm motivated to make changes too. Kris really has practical, do-able ideas on how to put her recommendations into practice.

Both authors advocate a vegetarian (and vegan if possible), low sugar diet. Everything I read tells me that being a vegetarian is the best thing you can do for your body and the planet. Can't be too tough, right? For me, probably. As I write this I am coming off a week long Coke binge, scarfing down cans left over from a family party. I make excuses, like "I need it to keep my energy going," and "I deserve it since I took the kids to the zoo, planted a tree, and did 6 loads of laundry today." But as I'm learning, if I just improved my diet, I'd get all the energy I need from fruits and veggies.  I wouldn't need the rebellious comfort of a sugar and chemical-laden drink or a burger and fries.

Starting on Sunday, I'm off the meats and high sugar foods. I will continue to eat fish, eggs, and dairy. My self-imposed vegetarian challenge will end after a week, and during that time I will post daily to let you know how it's going and will include recipes and any helpful tips I come across.

So, what's all this got to do with gardening? Well, one day I hope to be able to grow the majority of the food I eat on my own property. Until then, I'm off to Whole Foods!

2 comments:

  1. I had my gallbladder removed in January 2009 and decided not only to give up fried foods, but to give up red meat, sugar, and most breads. My diet ended up being more veggies than anything, and I even rarely eat chicken. I think you can do it!! I have some salad recipes that I like that don't include lettuce -- let me know if you are interested! But I feel great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very adventurous of you! I know you can do it! Are you kids going on this with you ... and your husband? Now that would be adventure!

    ReplyDelete