Sunday, June 19, 2011

Veg Week - Day 1

Happy Father's Day!

Veg Week began today, and it began with a fresh clean start -  I cleaned out my fridge. Really scrubbed things down and pitched anything beyond it's expiration date. I wanted it to be nice and clean when I filled it with fresh fruits and veggies. Breakfast started off with a banana and skim milk, and pineapples for a snack a little later. The hubby picked where we went for lunch, and chose our favorite Mexican joint, Chevys, where I had a delicious veggie burrito. For dinner, I made hubby's favorite, cajun salmon pasta. Instead of using heavy cream as the recipe calls, I used half and half. This is a dish we make on special occasions, because there is lots of cream, parmesan cheese, pasta, and yum!

Now, I know that true vegetarians don't eat fish, but I'm not sure I'll ever cut out fish or seafood. It's low fat, and really good for you - all those healthy omega 3's!

Overall, it was a great day, and I don't feel deprived at all. After lunch at Chevys, I usually feel full and heavy, and all I want to do is get in bed and sleep. Today I felt light, and really good about my choices. I still got in bed and took a nap, but I think that had something to do with running the Warrior Dash yesterday with my cousins (which I have to say was the most fun I've had in a long time!). Tomorrow will be a true veg day - chili with Boca crumbles on the menu.

Cajun Salmon Pasta (serves 4)
Try this when you want to spice things up a bit! A great way to use up those peppers from the garden. Serve with garlic bread.

8 oz whole wheat spaghetti or linguine pasta
1T olive oil
2 yellow bell peppers (sliced thin)
1 onion (sliced thin)
4 salmon fillets
2t cajun seasoning
2/3c half and half
3T grated parmesan
1/2t cayenne pepper (or to taste)

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook per package directions; drain.
2. Meanwhile, saute pepper and onion in olive oil for 5 minutes on medium/high heat.
3. Reduce heat to medium; move vegetables to the side of the pan and add salmon fillets (or bake salmon seperately in oven). Cook until salmon can be flaked with a fork and vegetables are soft. 
4. Using a fork, flake salmon into bite-sized pieces and stir with vegetables. Add cajun seasoning.
5. Pour vegetables and salmon into same pot as pasta. Add cream, parmesan, cayenne pepper, and stir. Cook until heated through.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment