Sunday, June 26, 2011

Veg Week Complete! My Take-Aways

Veg Week is complete! I did it! Not one piece of poultry, beef or pork! Things I learned this week:

1. I did not really go vegetarian, since I didn't give up fish. So, kudos to all you true vegetarians out there!
2. It was much easier than I thought. As I posted before, I didn't really feel like I was missing out on anything, except when our neighbors invited us over for ribs yesterday. I really wanted some. But they also made these excellent veggie shish-ke-bobs and I brought over a noodle salad, so I felt totally fulfilled.

3. There are some really great meat substitutes out there. Kris Carr would tell me not to eat those because they are processed foods, but when you've got to feed a non-vegetarian family, they really did the trick. Both of the products I used were Morningstar Farms - the crumbles and the breakfast sausage - and they were both good.

4. I did increase the number of organic fruit and vegetable servings I had each day since cutting out the meat. I probably averaged 8 or 9 servings each day, and I know that had to have a positive impact on my health.

5. I really felt better, emotionally, about my food choices this week. The only time I felt a little guilty was when the hubby brought home Oberwise cookies and cream ice cream for us on Saturday night. But it was very little, since I know I had done so well all week. I also felt more compassionate toward animals since taking our family out of the whole meat=processing-to-consumer cycle.

So, the question is, will I go back to eating meat? I don't know. I didn't eat any today, and Veg Week officially ended last night. I'm not going to say I will never eat it, because if confronted with my neighbor's ribs again, I might have to give in.

No comments:

Post a Comment