Monday, January 31, 2011

Turning over a new leaf. Pun intended.

"There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling." - Mirabel Osler

For the last four years, I've been a stay-at-home mom. Before that, my career was in various non-profit management positions. While those jobs certainly had their perks - travel, a paycheck, stimulating conversations with adults - I wouldn't trade them for the time I get to spend with my little ones each day. However, after a few years I felt that need for work accomplishments resurface and wondered how I could both work, and be available for the kids as much as possible. I also never wanted to have to leave the kids in someone else's care while I went off to a job I hated for umpteen hours a day.

The answer for me was to return to school and retrain for a new career, and landscape design fit the bill. I've had a passion for growing plants since I was a kid working in my mom's massive vegetable garden. Since then, I've landscaped my property and designed for friends and family. I'm so excited to start my business - Tina Koral Gardens - and begin designing for others!

My specialty is French-style potager vegetable gardens. These beautiful vegetable gardens usually feature raised beds, paved paths, and a low fence for animal protection. Some annuals and perennials are added to attract pollinators. The vegetable garden does not have to be pushed into the back corner of your property! With so much interest in buying local produce and the slow food movement, I'm happy to be able to offer such a practical, stunning landscape feature to my future clients!

I hope you enjoy my blog, which will feature information on everything from growing vegetables to compost; sustainable landscaping to gardening with kids, and so much more. And if you creep up on me while I'm working, I'm sure I'll be smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment